Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mastodon - Blood Mountain (2006)


[Progressive/Metal]


Considering all the other stuff I've posted here, this is a complete departure. But since I figured I really enjoy metal as well, and this was one of the best metal releases of the last 10 years... Here it is.

Mastodon are, along with Cynic, what gives me hope as to the future of the metal genre. (Yes, I know Cynic's been around for 10+ years, but I'm refering to their new release "Traced in Air")
So, since I'm running the risk of sounding biased and/or deviating from the topic, I'll just go right ahead to the review.

Mastodon is probably the best metal band to come out in recent years. They clearly have their influences very present in what they make, but not so much as to overshadow their creative genious when making something that sounds completely refreshing. A very heavy, yet melodic approach to metal is what's present here, ranging from thrash-y fast to groovy (The Wolf Is Loose and Sleeping Giant, respectively) there's pretty much no aspect of the genre these guys don't cover.

If you're a metal fan, get this. And even if you're not you should definitely give this a listen, their greatest album and an amazingly crafted progressive exploration.

Blood Mountain, is in my opinion, Mastodon's masterpiece.


Get it nao.

Protip: Cedric Bixler, And Ikey Owens from the Mars Volta are guests on the album.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O71BQ8C8

No comments:

Post a Comment